One day after school, I set off (? another word or phrase?) with my dad to run a few errands. "Get a haircut," Mom says. "School pictures are tomorrow, you want to look nice."
My dad and I pulled in to Super Cuts, our usual haircut destination. We walked in together, me in my teal sweats and sweatshirt, my dad in his short sleeve polo and dress pants.???(maybe I should add more of a description to us?) My dad says, "Do you have an opening for a haircut for my daughter, Jessie?"
They were able to get me right in for a haircut, so the hair cut lady took me right back while my dad paged through a magazine in the lobby. He told her to give me a trim, as if she had ever laid hands on my hair before! She went my hair first with a spray bottle and combed it through. She began to trim my hair with scissors along the top of my head. Next, she got out the clippers. At first, I was a little alarmed, but thought, hmm maybe she has a special technique for cutting hair...?
Then she took a comb and the clippers and started trimming the back of my head! I could feel the hairs from the back of my head falling past my neck. I sat, paralyzed...looking at myself in the mirror, unable to say anything. She moved to the side of my head...using the clippers there too. I looked ahead, eyes bugging out of my head, hands clenched into fists underneath my cape. *
This is where I stopped....My next blog will be my dad's reaction, my mom's reaction and the dreaded picture day pictures. I have been working on this on and off during the last couple of times I have been doing writing in my writing notebook. Thoughts?
Oh, my! I'd love to see your school pictures. :) Bad haircuts make great stories. I am sorry you had to experience this.
ReplyDeleteI can visualize your dad and you by your descriptions. If you want to add more you can. Maybe try to describe the Super Cuts and the haircut lady. You could visit the hair salon to take notes and then use one of the hair dressers there as your character. Many authors go to the place of their stories (setting) to take notes and get the feel of the place to write.
I am wondering how old you were and what grade you were in? I
I definitely want to read more and find out what happens!
I was 8 and in 2nd grade :) I will see if I can dig up a picture to post with my writing portfolio!
ReplyDeleteI am curious as to what extent the haircut affected your school picture, or your overall well being. I think a little more description about how you and your father looked going in would contrast nicely to how I imagine you looked leaving Super Cuts.
ReplyDeleteI immediately wanted to know what your hair looked like before she started. I was picturing long hair and then all of sudden she was going at your head with the clippers. Maybe you could add more description about what your hair looked like before the damage. I can't wait to hear more!I would love to see a picture too. :)
ReplyDelete