Thursday, March 3, 2016

A Solo Rollerblading Adventure

I left my house with my brand new roller blades. I had never had the straight line blades before, only the roller skates with the four wheels in a square. I strapped on my helmet, my knee pads and my elbow pads. Today, I had decided, I was going to roller blade through my neighborhood and up the path that lead to my elementary school. As I took my first glide from my driveway onto the sidewalk, I slipped. BAM. On my butt. Not to be discouraged, I got back up and tried again, holding on to a neighbor's fence as I scooted along down the sidewalk. My house happened to be on a hill, so it was smooth sailing for a bit. As I neared the corner I had to turn, I tilted my heel back to slow my roll while I turned the corner.
I looked down the street and decided to go for it. It was a steep hill, I was just going to coast down the hill without holding on to anything. I let go of someone's shrub and rolled down the hill. As I went faster and faster, I thought, this is easy! When I got to the bottom of the hill, luckily there were no cars coming. I took a nice, wide turn as I veered down the next street. Two hills later, I saw the path to my school in the distance. As I approached the fence, I was met with a couple walking their dogs. A little afraid of being thrown off balance, I moved to the edge of the path. After they had passed, I climbed the small hill that led to my school's playground, passing two small fences on my way up. Near the top, it gets a bit steep, and I had to lean over and touch my hands to the ground to make sure I didn't slip backwards.
Once I reached the playground, I had never felt more triumphant. I was here! I rolled around in the undercover basketball area where the asphalt was smooth beneath my wheels. I rolled bladed past every classroom window, peering inside to look at the different classroom arrangements and secretly hoped to see a teacher I knew. I wished I had brought a friend and decided that next time I would bring my best friend Courtney.
Finally, I decided it was time to go home for a Capri Sun and a snack pack for my afternoon snack. (90s kids, you know what snack packs are, right?) I approached the hill with trepidation, wondering how I was going to make it down in one piece. I coasted on my fresh back brakes, silently praying that I could make it to the first fence without falling. When I reached the first fence without falling, I breathed a sigh of relief, feeling slightly more confident. As I left the first fence, I decided to go down the last little hill with no brakes. I started out slowly enough, coasting and running my hands lightly over the chain link fence as I rolled. I began to pick up speed and tried to brake. The only problem was, I was tilting my foot forward (like roller skates) instead of backwards to stop myself. That didn't prove to be effective.
Faster and faster, I picked up speed, I couldn't stop! I saw a curved curb coming up and new for sure I was going to go 'splat' on the pavement. As I got closer and closer to the curb, I made the decision to try to tuck myself into a ball. My roller blades clipped the edge of the curb and I went flying. Rolling into a ball only made me roll harder and travel farther. Ouch.
A man washing his car, rushed over to help me. "Are you okay?"
"Yes," I replied wearily. Looking down, I noticed that my brand new roller blades had big scuffs and scratches from hitting the sidewalk and skidding when I rolled. My shin was skinned and bleeding and my helmet sat catty-wompus on my head.
I picked myself up off the ground and skated slowly home to my house, SO ready to take my blades off.

This is a piece I have been working on for awhile in my writing notebook, but I am having a hard time ending the story. It seems a bit abrupt, what do you guys think? Also, does anyone have any better ideas for a title?

4 comments:

  1. I think you ending is good as is. It didn't seem abrupt to me. It sends the message that you were totally over it! Other title ideas could be Splat or Rollerblading for Beginners? Just a few thoughts. Also, now I want a snackpack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept waiting for a big crash on the way to the school. What was the weather like? I imagine that it was a bright, sunny day. Not a cloud in the sky, blue skies from one side to the other. Did you get your snack pack and Capri Sun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did get my snack pack and capri sun! Also, I may or may not have gone and bought some snack packs a few days ago. Still as good as I remembered. Too small though! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that could be the ending. Something about getting rewarded, or maybe getting back out there the next day. I think that would send a message, but without just saying, 'If at first you don't succeed, try again.'

    ReplyDelete