Thursday, February 18, 2016

When are we cooking?

"What are we cooking?" my students say
"Wait and see" I answer politely
"Wash your hands, get into between those fingers"
"I'll wait til you're quiet"
"Don't sneeze into your hand, buddy"
"Go wash them again"
Step 1- Read the ingredients
"No voices while I'm reading"
Step 2- Complete the steps
"Everyone take turns now"
Step 3- Eat your creation
"What do you think"
"Thumbs up or thumbs down?"
"Let's clean up!"
"Take this to the garbage"
"Please throw your trash away"
"Time for dishes!"
"Let's review--what was in it? Was it good? Was it healthy? Would you make it again?"
Until next week....
We cook on Fridays.


This is a conversation I have every Friday with all of my students. We have a curriculum that has a weekly topic that has a recipe that goes with it. Each Friday we cook the recipe and my students are really good at going through the steps and taking turns adding ingredients, stirring and combining ingredients together. I was thinking of what groceries I needed to buy for Friday when I wrote this. In the past, I have had my students write about the steps that we took when we cooked. It's a good opportunity for writing a process.

5 comments:

  1. I like the simplicity of directions. It reads like a poem for cooking. Are the students excited about this activity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Justin's comment about sounding like a poem. Is this something you normally write down together or for your students, or did you just write what you normally say? You might add what it was that you cooked. I was interested to know what sort of things you all make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a special education curriculum that is a weekly newspaper that goes over current events. Lately, we have talked about the Daytona 500 and this week we are talking about Leap Day and next week we are talking about NASA's Twins in Space. There is a different recipe each week that somehow relates to the topic we are studying. Last week we made mug cakes...this week we are making limeade! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great activity to do along with a curriculum. I love the mix of dialogue. I'm wondering what else the students say within the cooking time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They talk about completely off-topic things. I usually have to shush them and keep them on topic, remind them that I am only taking questions, not comments until we are finished. Ha!

    ReplyDelete