Sorry this post is so late, I had intentions to do my blog post while I was at the beach during Spring Break, but I discovered I didn't have internet to post it.
Below is a picture that I took while on the beach in the morning during low tide.

I love going to Manzanita a couple of times a year. During low tide, I walk with my head down, searching for special shells or sand dollars. Most years, I only find 2-5 sand dollars. This year, I found 80 sand dollars! I love to make crafts with Art. Just a few months ago, I decorated a wooden letter of my last name with seashells I found at Point No Point, WA. Last year, I made an art project using the sand dollars I got gotten a few years ago and saved. I used a shadow box to place my sand dollars and I mounted them on burlap. It hangs in my kitchen, and every time I look at it, I think of the memories of the beach and can't wait to go back.
This is a piece of writing I would like to develop with my students using the pictures I have taken. I was thinking that maybe I could show them pictures and then we could write stories together based on brainstorming we do as a class.
Here is another picture I took. I think Manzanita is way better than places that are overly popular, like Seaside.

I like your idea for using pictures to have your students write. I wonder how it would work to have students bring in their own photos and write about it? Have you ever tried any writing like this before?
ReplyDeleteI also had connectivity issues during my Spring break on Orcas Island.
ReplyDeleteWould the stories you have your students write be about what they see in the picture itself, or would it be the catalyst for a creative writing piece?
I think the pictures would be a great start. If you brought back any of the sand or sand dollars I am sure the students would love to see that too. Some of them have probably never been to anything like it. Those that have will be thrill to share their stories along with it.
ReplyDelete